Wednesday, February 3, 2010

what do you like to wear?

yesterday i touched upon "what is your personal style"? many responses came in via twitter & email...many not sure what their style is...

here are some responses from twitter...

@CRAVEsf - Maybe some need help defining it... Good advice, nonetheless
@TheLipstickList - Great questions to ask!
@chriswolfgang - Someone told me mine was Ralph Lauren equestrian :D>
@IslandSirens - My personal style is anything inspired by the clothes I wear. So I guess I dont really have a personal style

so today...lets dive deeper in this topic of personal style...so...more questions to think about while defining "your" style...

what do you like to wear?

people are very versatile...we can be infinitely suggestible, incurably provocative, or comfortably predictable...the first hint of spring may be all the encouragement we need to reach for a pretty dress...but faced with a tough day at the office...we know enough to pull out the power suit that strikes just the right authoritative note...

our lives are not simple...they require us to be different people at different times...

so...who are you? are you shy? flamboyant? a seductress? what do you need to meet the demands your life makes upon you? kids, cocktail parties, board meetings, zucchini-growing competitions...

how are you going to handle your age? by adapting styles with pride and sophistication to who you are now, or clinging to a past vision of yourself by dressing twenty years too young?

finally...what style works for you? do you prefer the tailored lines of a more classic look? the flowing looseness of romantic clothes? are you dressing to get attention, or to deflect it? do you like the risk of fitted, sexy clothes, or are you more comfortable with an understated, no-nonsense approach? are you funky, athletic, minimalist, extravagant?

the question is...who are you...today?

stay tuned...more tomorrow...


5 comments:

  1. I'm most definitely of the put-together aesthetic. I do like a ladylike look although I do try to switch it up once in a while, though I don't do a very good job, I still tend to look very 'proper'! One look in my closet will tell you why!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness. I've spent these 25 and a half years trying to define myself with no success. I imagine I'll spend another 25 still not figuring it out.

    So, this is how I like to describe myself: I have the mentality of a snobby and exceedingly proper grandmother stuck in the body of a casual twenty-something in a very casual city, who though tends toward conservative dress, also closely follows art and fashion trends. Basically what you get is...whatever my style is. :) A bunch of vintage pieces paired with (mostly black) staples and tons of cheap trendy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved both your comments! thank you! there is something chic about "proper" and conservative...(i think) it is how you carry yourself...and knowing what works for you...

    (sarah) i can tell you for me...my style is a lot different than it was when i was 25...so i am sure you will continue to evolve into your style based on many things, your career, lifestyle etc...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to think "chic seductress" haha. And how am I going to handle the age thing... by ignorning it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. stacy - i happen to like "chic seductress" as well...haha...
    as far as the age thing...ignoring is one way...or just looking the best you can at your age...where it becomes apparent...is one dressing the age they "wish" they were...ie: dressing like your teenage daughter...doesn't work...ever...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin