Wednesday, February 10, 2010

guest post: fashion for all ages...

guest blogger: the fabulous dana lynch

visit her over at "www.elementsofimage.com"


Just within the last week, I’ve heard the comment, “I’m not a teenager anymore, but I don’t want to dress like my grandmother, either–I can’t find any clothes,” several times. I can understand how women, between the ages of 23 and 97, don’t think there’s anything out there for them, but really you have the largest number of chic, wardrobe options.

Here are a few tips to follow for finding stylish clothing that feels appropriate for your age and image.

• Extremes in styles tend to be the trendiest. You may feel more comfortable in classic styles in modern shapes.

• If you prefer to look a touch trendy, choose one trendy piece to be the star of the outfit, and then the rest of the garments should be more basic, supporting the star.

• Fit is more important than ever. No matter what your body type or size, it’s important to show your shape. Covering everything up from head to toes in baggy clothing only makes you look larger than you are, and ultimately matronly. And that’s not a flattering description even if you’re 97!

• Steer clear of juvenile prints. If you’re looking for whimsy, do it with accessories and color.

• Avoid old fashioned, “grandmotherly” florals.

• Go for quality, luxurious fabrics in modern or even trendy styles.

• Keep current—go through your closet regularly scouting for clothing that may be outdated. Nothing will age you faster than wearing clothes from a past decade.

Where to shop? Almost anywhere, avoiding the Junior department and departments clearly for elderly women. Here in Denver, I’m partial to J.Crew, Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, Garbarini, and Moxie.

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree, Dana! For some reason, this year is the year it has hit me hardest that I just can't wear the things I used to wear. I'm editing out more and more. It's still fun to look stylish, just in a different way. Thanks for sharing your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true adena...and in the process...when one dresses their age ie: not dressing like a teenager...and wears what fits correctly...one ends up looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dana! How are you?? I will visit your blog tonight! You know, it's really tough because retailers don't really listen to us or give us much credence as an age group, even though WE'RE the ones buying! I've had friends tell me J.Crew is "too young" for them now. HA! I wear it all the time, because it fits my body type well. You don't have to STYLE the clothes like Jenna Lyons does. We need to teach our clients that once they have the "cake" of their wardrobe, it's how they style it that makes it perfect for US at any age.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin