Tuesday, January 10, 2012

my personal fashion resolutions for 2012...

last week when i set out to write my annual post on fashion resolutions...where i ask my readers to submit their own changes that they are looking to make for the new year...i do this for two main reasons...i think there is something powerful about making a statement of what your intentions are...even in your wardrobe...and also...i think that sometimes...the changes one decides to make...then inspires others to make changes as well...

which to me...is not a bad thing...at all...although it seems as each year...there is less participation...whether that be the stigma that the word "resolution" has for some...or maybe it is for a whole set of other reasons...i will still continue to ask the question...every year...

so while i was preparing the post...i of course took a look back on my own fashion resolutions...the first year...in 2010 this is what i wrote...

as for me...my fashion resolution is to really think about each purchase...and buy only what i truly love...and really to work within my own closet...shop in my closet...and rework items i have currently in a new way...and continue to buy vintage...and shoes!


kind of a no-brainer...especially the shoe part...the easiest thing for me to do is to justify why i need a new pair of shoes...and why "this" pair is different from all the others...so basically i did what i said i would do...

then came 2011 fashion resolutions...and here is what i wrote:

my resolution is to REALLY clean out my closet...yes...even i get lazy...get rid of the items that i know i won't be wearing...continue with my resolution from last year...because...i tell you...when you buy what you truly love...not just what is "a good deal" or "it'll do"...it makes a huge difference in the morning...when you are getting ready...trust me! and...i could use a few more vintage pieces...and shoes...


when i first read this...i thought to myself..."wow...i didn't do what i said i was going to do" but the more i thought about it...i realized that i needed to cut myself some slack...is my closet where i would like it to be? uh...no...

confession...i...just like my clients...sometimes have a hard time getting rid of things...i would almost call myself a clothes hoarder...almost...so...no...my closet is not the "cleaned out" version i see in my head...but it is getting there...

part of what has made it easier...is the fact that i truly do not buy an item unless i absolutely love it...and incorporate it into my wardrobe in several different ways...something that i am always telling my clients...something that i didn't always do...hence...my very packed...3 closets =)

in 2011...i started looking at the pieces in my closet in new ways...different ways of wearing items that just hung there...for a long time...and i did get rid of a lot of clothes...but i still have a lot of clothes...

my point being...resolutions...like goals...are something to work towards...so even if you have made baby steps...pat yourself on the back...because each change that you make...leads you one step closer to your goal...

so as i continue in 2012 to "clean" out the closet...and being very particular at what i bring in...every day...i am one step closer to my ultimate goal of my dream closet...it is just taking a little bit longer then i had anticipated...but each new small step...that has become a habit...is helping me keep it manageable...

2 comments:

  1. Your post regarding 2012 resolution was excellent and I like it. Thank you for sharing.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you michelle! glad you enjoyed it! feel free to add your own fashion resolutions in the comment...if you made any...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin